Saturday, June 25, 2011

Part Information - Processors


After building all these computers, you have probably noticed that there are a lot of different types of processors, motherboards, video cards, etc. I am going to try to give an explanation of how tell the difference between the many types of parts. For example, a question such as “why is an Intel i5 Quad-core 3.2 Ghz processor better than an Intel i3 Duel-core 3.2 Ghz processor?” that is what I am trying to answer. So therefore, I am going to explain how to tell a difference. First off, a processor’s speed rate is determined in megahertz and gigahertz, meaning how many cycles per second. Now a day, you only see processor’s with gigahertz, but back in the 1990’s, you saw the majority of processors with megahertz. You can easily access a processor by looking at it’s design, more than it’s clock speed. You use to be able to say that a 3.2 Ghz processor is faster than a 2.2 Ghz processor, but if that 2.2 Ghz process happened to be a duel core, then it would be more powerful, because its 2.2 x 2, meaning 4.4 Ghz processor. It is faster because it can process double the amount. Intel has released six core processors now, with 3.2 Ghz. If you do the math on that, its capability is at 19.2 Ghz. If processors are really close in their speeds, some people use benchmarking programs to measure the speed. So now that you understand processors, I will explain RAM in the next blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment