I am going to build an Alienware computer right now, it is called the Aurora. You can view it by clicking here. In a previous post, I broke down the Aurora computer, and gave my opinion on it. Now I am going to build the computer myself, and compare the prices. First off, I matched the processor of the Aurora with an Intel i5 3.1GhZ (3.4 Turbo Boost) quad-core processor. This is the closest processor I could find to Alienware’s custom made processor. The cost of the processor it’s self was $190. Next, I found a motherboard that’s compatible with the processor, and that was $60. After that, I found a DVD drive at $19 and a 1 TB (1000 GB) 7200 RPM hard drive for $60. Following that, I found a Mid Case and a 480 W power supply. I found 4 Gigs of RAM for $33, and Windows 7 64-bit had a cost of $100. Now if you add all this up, with tax and shipping, the total is $501.93. Now this is excluding the video card. I found a 3 GB video card that matches the one that Alienware has, but the price of it was $590. That is more than a computer minus the video card. So if you add all that together with the expensive video card, you’re still under Alienware’s price. The total is $1091.92. I decided to get a similar video card, which has 2 GB, but the price was a lot more reasonable. The price of the 2 GB video card was $125. The total with that video card comes out to be $626.92. Almost half the price of the Alienware Aurora. You can save yourself almost $400 by just decreasing the memory in your video card by 1 GB. Therefore, you can see that Alienware might be a waste of money, because you can save a lot of money and get the same type of computer for almost half the price.
No comments:
Post a Comment