Monday, June 13, 2011

My first computer

When I was at the age of 16, I was heavily involved in online video games, which is a reason as to why I wanted to know why my games would slow down and how to make them run better. A good friend of mine helped me out on the creation of my first computer, but I eventually was able to understand what parts worked with what, and how to upgrade certain parts. The first computer I created was just under $700, but it was a gaming powerhouse. This was just the desktop tower, and all the parts, including a mouse and keyboard. The only thing that is not included in that cost is a monitor, which I had ahead of time. In order for video games to run well, you need to have a good video card, processor, and a good amount of RAM. Technology changes over time and the prices of technology decline as well, so if you were to buy the same computer that I created years ago, it would be very cheap. For my computer, I invested the majority of my money into the video card, which was top of the line at the time. Anyone who wants to make a gaming computer has to spend the big bucks for a video card like that. I spent $160 on my first video card, which was only a 256 MB video card (the higher the bytes, the better it runs). The second most expensive part I bought was the RAM, which is required to allow the processor to process more over time. The RAM stick I bought was on a gigabyte, but at that time that was a lot of RAM. That stick alone was $100, and if you were to now look at it, the cost is under $25 (see how technology gets better and the prices change!). The third most expensive part that I bought was the processor, which ran me $80. It was a single-core 2.0Ghz AMD Athlon processor. As you can see, for my first gaming computer, the top 3 most expensive parts that I put my money into were the video card, processor, and RAM. 

No comments:

Post a Comment